1905 PHOTOGRAPH ALBUMS
CLICK TO SEE THE ALBUMS WITH
OR SEARCH FOR PICTURES BY SUBJECT WITH THE:
THE BACON FARM
In the mid 1830s
Hiram Bacon staked a claim on 200 acres in Township #31, just east
of the Machias River. He had traveled there on what we call the
Airline Road. After cutting and burning the trees, he made holes
under the stumps, filled them with corn, and let his pigs do the
hard work. Hiram raised cattle. His brother Ebenezer came here
before 1840, bought the 200 acres, and then Hiram left. The house
and buildings were on the north side of the road, but fields were
Bacon Farm before the house was
burned by the wicked stepmother. From left the house, carriage house
and the barn. See page one in first album to see farm in 1905.
Eben (1813), as
Ebenezer was called, married Julia Elsemore (1828) on August 15,
1845and brought her to this wilderness farm. This pioneer couple
raised a family of eight, five daughters and three sons; Laverna
(June 29, 1846), Gelana (1848), Forreston (1853), Huaska (1855),
Verona (1856), Mary (1857), Anna 1859) and Lindell (1862). Hard work
kept the family fed, clothed and warm. However, as with most early
settlers, it was hard to get cash to pay the mortgage. The (year of
birth) noted above is calculated from the 1860 census, except for
Lindell’s which came from his gravestone at the Guptill Cemetery in
Carriage House, note the long cedar
In 1857 a source of cash came Eben’s way.
George Spratt got the contract to carry the mail between Bangor and
Calais, a distance of 93 miles. Spratt apportioned 36 horses along
the line so teams could be changed six times: Alexander and Wesley
to the east, Eben Bacon’s place, and Beddington, Aurora, and Clifton
to the west. Eben had to meet the stage with six fresh horses in
harness, help unhook the horses that had hauled the stage about 14
miles, hook up the new team, then unharness the tired team, feed and
water them so they would be ready for the next trip. Spratt’s
Airline Stage ran until 1887.
Eben likely raised
hay and grain for oxen and horses used by logging crews on the
Machias watershed. He may also have raised potatoes, turnip and
other food for the men who cut the logs.
The Machias Union
of November 6, 1877 reported that Eben took seven barrels of butter
to Portland. The market in Machias was poor. The butter weighed
about 1950 pounds. The article continues, “Mr. Bacon makes a large
quantity of butter, using the milk from 11 cows. His sons Hughey
(Huaska) and Lindell help him with the milking, straining, churning,
working, salting and packing. He uses 150 tin pans for setting milk
and churns every fifth day. He uses a cellar for a milk room…. He
scalds all the milk set for cream, raising it to a temperature of
160 degrees…. Mr. Bacon has lived on his farm since 1837. He is
called “The Butter King of Washington County”. He expects to produce
2400 to 2500 pounds this season.”
The children left
home between 1860 and 1880. Julia died about 1882 and Eben married
Ella Hayes, a small woman who had ‘come through the woods’ from the
Bangor area. A letter to daughter Laverna dated September 7, 1890
reports that Eben is not well and can’t stay in the old place this
winter. Where was Ella? Eben went to New Britain, Connecticut to
live with Laverna and her family. Eben died there between February
and November 1891.
The farm stayed
with the family but William C. Holway of Machias held the mortgage.
In 1896 Frank Smith of Northfield was living there with his second
wife and his children Sewall and Elizabeth. Frank was in the woods
working and the children were sent out to pick raspberries. The
house burned. Sewell said that his stepmother didn’t like living
there so she burned it. The other buildings were not damaged.
youngest Bacon child, wrote his brother Hughey on May 5, 1931, “The
old home in TWP 31, what a tragedy! The old barn is all that’s left
and is tumbling down. I seldom go there.” In 2005, Ivan Hawkins and
John Dudley searched around the farm site and found only part of a
foundation, likely the barn. The field around the house was used for
storage of construction equipment when the Airline was worked on
about 40 years age. Today the place has grown to woods.
oldest child of Eben and Julia, was born on June 29, 1846. She was
married Ebben McLaughlin on April 11, 1863. She then married Charles
H. Townsend on August 21, 1867 and they immediately moved to New
Britain, Connecticut. They had three children who all lived to
adulthood. They were Manley Bacon Townsend, Harry Eben Townsend, and
Alice J. Townsend. Charles H. Townsend was born at Sidney, Maine in
1823, a son of Stephen and Abigail Townsend. He died on September
30, 1895 at New Britain. Laverna died at New Britain on June 1,
Manley, our photographer, and his
brother Harry were nearly forty years old when they visited the
Bacon Farm in 1905. The following winter Manley created these
albums, one a Christmas gift and the other for his brother Harry.
Manley and Harry were both ministers, thus heavenly.
Grandfather Eben Bacon (1890),
The Heavenly Twins (1905),
Manley Bacon Townsend (1904)
TOWNSEND’S LIFE - Manley grew up in New Britain with his family.
We know his grandfather Eben Bacon came to live with the family in
late 1890, but by this time Manley and Harry were off to college.
In January 1890
Manley was the editor of THE UNION, ‘the only newspaper exclusively
for Junior Prohibitionists in the United States’. His brother Harry
was the publisher.
studying electrical engineering later that year, but shortly after
went to Canton, NY where he studied for the ministry. His brother
Harry was there with him. Manley was ordained at the Universal
Church in South Framingham, Massachusetts on September 20, 1892.
Among the places he served were Dover, Maine (1896), Southbridge
(1903), Randolph (1904), Attleboro (1920), and Medfield,
Massachusetts and in Rochester, New Hampshire.
ministry, Manley’s great interest was nature. It appears that
he considered the natural world to be God’s world. From the pulpit,
he lectured for the salvation of mankind. Elsewhere he lectures the
wonders of nature. We see this in the subjects of his photographs
and in the wording of his captions.
He lectured during
the early 20’s and these are samples of his topics; How the Birds
Teach Religion, Children at Nature’s School, The Special Adaptations
of Birds, Following Nature’s Trail, Friendly Visiting with Birds,
Getting Back to Nature or How We Answer the Call of Nature, Our
Native Birds and Their Protection.
It is stated that
Manley ‘lectured much in the eastern states and in Canada’ and was
strickened while giving his final lecture. He was recognized for his
scientific knowledge and had been asked by McMillen to travel to the
Manley also wrote
about nature. In the August 23, 1923 issue of THE CHRISTIAN REGISTER
he wrote an article entitled Children at Nature’s School. “Children
are born lovers of natural wonders. It is not difficult to educate
this instinct until the child perceives in blooming flower and
tinkling brook direct evidence of the Creator. Let them live among
flowers and birds, trees and all created things.”
Here is an example
of Manley’s writing as found in How the Birds Teach Religion, also
published in THE CHRISTIAN REGISTER. This is almost like poetry; it
should be read aloud.
“We paused for a moment at the
witching sunset hour, seating ourselves upon a great rock that had
been deposited there ages ago by the great ice sheet, and there we
were treated to the most exquisite duet in all nature. From the
depths of the solitary forest came wafted to our ears a strain of
enchanting melody, the clear flutelike notes of that incomparable
vocalist, the hermit thrush. And then, from another quarter, there
joined in the pure, sweet soprano of the white-throated sparrow, a
strain of long-drawn-out liquid sweetness. We sat enchanted, lost in
rapture, our spirits submerged for the time being, in the mystery
and wonder of creation, the forest-clad mountains, the beauty of the
earth, and the magic of the darkening sky…. An invisible hand had
been laid in benediction upon our heads.”
Dora G. Longfellow of Machias on June 24, 1896. They had two
children, Laverna (October 10, 1902) and Alice (ca. 1906). Manley
died in 1926.
Lindell’s daughter Alice Bacon (1908 – 2004) kept these albums. Ivan
Hawkins and Dale made them available to ACHS for copying. Carola
Nickerson of the Wesley Historical Society loaned the Bacon Family
binder that gave most of the material used in the text.