An Illustrated Timeline of Alexander, Maine
THE LAND 13000 YEARS AGO
BATTLES, REBELLION FROM 1000 TO 1774
* TURNING LAND
INTO MONEY FROM 1781 TO 1795
PUTTING ALEXANDER ON THE MAP FROM 1785 TO 1808
EARLY SETTLERS FROM 1808 TO 1825
YEARS OF GROWTH 1830
READY OR NOT FOR WAR ~ 1860 TO 1865
WHERE PEOPLE LIVED IN 1880
THRU THE TAX COLLECTORS EYES - 1914
BOUND FOR EXTINCTION 1970
THE NEW MILLENNIUM
CHAPTER 12 – THE NEW MILLENNIUM
“A time when there will be no sin or sorrow”
2003 - Tony Tammaro Memorial Highway - The eastern part of the Airline was dedicated on August 7th to Tony Tammaro. Tony was from Woodland [Baileyville], was a well-known basketball referee, and served many years in the Maine Legislature where he was a driving force behind the reconstruction of Route 9.
2005 May 26 - A Conservation Easement was signed that affected 9995 acres in Alexander. New England Forestry Foundation with association with United States Fish & Wildlife service (Loon Management and Enforcement) and Downeast Lakes Land Trust was the buyer and Typhoon. LLC was the seller. Among the allowed activities are forestry practices [wood harvesting] and recreation. These blocks of wildland have traditionally been owned by out-of-town owners such as GP and Eastern Pulpwood. Wagner Forest Management looks after the land for Typhoon and its forester is Travis Howard of Alexander.
2005 Alexander plans for the future.
2007 & 8 ARCHIVES / STORAGE ADDITION TO MUNICIPAL BUILDING
The addition to the Alexander Municipal building is moving towards completion. The funds came from the Town of Alexander ($5000), the Town of Cooper ($1500) and Alexander – Crawford Historical Society ($5000). A proposal for matching funds ($11500) was successful. After the grant was awarded, Cooper gave another $1500 for the project, making the total budget of $24500 for the safe storage facility. In June, Alexander citizens also voted $9000 for the Alexander Volunteer Fire Department to ‘twin’ the addition, which will provide that group with much needed storage space. The total addition is 20 feet wide and 48 feet long.
Part of the philosophy behind these grants is to provide economic stimulus to the local area; the other reason is to protect historical materials. Fred Wallace of Alexander did the earthwork. Dale Richardson of East Machias did the concrete work. V. L. Tammaro of Woodland installed the in-floor heat. Bill Barnett of Riverside Electric did the wiring. He and Tammaro worked on the Municipal Building in 1992. Lewis Scribner hung the sheet rock and did the mud work. Lewis’s ancestors settled in Alexander before 1820.
Members of the
AVFD as volunteers did the walls, roof, interior partition and insulation.
They also cut out the cement for a doorway. The four most active volunteers
were Ed ‘Crash’ Burgess, Allan ‘Butch’ Greenlaw, David Davis and David
Sullivan. Town Clerk Dedi Greenlaw keeps books and pays bills. Ronnie and
Glenn Davis helped with the siding. John Foley and John Dudley have painted.
that has guided this project for A-CHS and the towns includes Dedi Greenlaw,
Stuart Shotwell (Cooper selectman), David Davis, John Foley, Roger Holst,
David Sullivan and John Dudley.
Still to be done is installing a security system to monitor heat and moisture and, if necessary, an air quality system. File cabinets and steel shelving will make the addition ready for use by the three partners. It appears that sufficient funds exist to complete the project. Report prepared by John Dudley, March 1, 2008
2010 census – 499
2013 Christmas time – another ice storm closed roads and damaged forests.
2014 July 4&5 - Hurricane Arthur with 5 inches of rain and 80 mile-an-hour winds swept in over night. Some power outages and damage in the woods.
2014 July 21 - Communications tower
erected at 1790 Airline Road. Images by Earl Hill