An Illustrated Timeline of Alexander, Maine
LAND 13000 YEARS AGO
BATTLES, REBELLION FROM 1000 TO 1774
* TURNING LAND
INTO MONEY FROM 1781 TO 1795
PUTTING ALEXANDER ON THE MAP FROM 1785 TO 1808
EARLY SETTLERS FROM 1808
YEARS OF GROWTH 1830
READY OR NOT FOR WAR ~ 1860 TO 1865
FARM ANIMALS BECAME
THE CASH CROP – 1866 to 1900
THRU THE TAX COLLECTORS EYES - 1914
BOUND FOR EXTINCTION 1970
NEW MILLENNIUM *
CHAPTER 5 – EARLY SETTLERS FROM 1808 TO 1825
1000 – 1603 THE EXPLORERS
1607 – 1763 THE CENTURY AND A HALF OF CONFLICT AND WAR
1763 – 1783 THE COAST IS SETTLED AND THE NEW NATION IS ESTABLISHED
1785 - 1808 THE LAND IS SURVEYED
1791 - DEEDED OWNERSHIP AND WILLING SELLERS
WHY DID MEN COME TO ALEXANDER?
No one to date has found a diary or letter created by one of our early settlers that answers that question. A one-word answer might be opportunity, to have the chance to own property and have a better life for the families. These men, likely sons of Revolutionary War soldiers, must have heard the words of the Declaration of Independence and our Constitution glorifying LIFE, LIBERTY and PROPERTY.
And of great importance, John Black would let them live on and work the land before paying for it! Men signed bonds with Black agreeing to work on the roads and pay for their land at some time in the future. We have failed to find that list so we don’t know where each man settled.
WHO CAME TO ALEXANDER
It appears that the settlement of Alexander was not by plan of a great leader, but by small groups from three areas over a decade. Those areas were Calais including St. Stephen and the ridges, Eastport, and East Machias. The written record is slim and we share it so readers can find different stories.
1810 census gives Samuel Brown in TWP 17, actually he was on lot 9 of TWP 16
1813 First settlement on Breakneck was made by four families from Machias
1816 Jesse Stephenson’s saw mill set up at foot of Pleasant Lake
1820 Official Census was 114
1820 Stephenson opened his grist mill
schools opened – one each on lot 64 and 98 (Burnt Barn Hill)
1823 = LAND FOR SALE
Prepared in 2014 by John Dudley
Belle Carlow (1900 – 2003) collected items over her lifetime. Her daughter Barbara McArthur in 2013 shared some of what she found of Belle’s treasurers. This article is based on a reprint of the front page of the April 17, 1823 issue of the Bangor Register. Most of the material on the page was of Federal Acts. But one was headlined “PUBLIC LANDS in the State of Maine at Auction”. The first auction was scheduled for May 15, 1823 and another for some later date that summer or fall. The condition of the sale was 20% down. The agents were Narum Mitchell and George W. Coffin at the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Land Office, State House, Boston, Mass.
Maine became a state in 1820. Under the Act of Separation, Massachusetts retained ownership of half of the unsold and un-granted wildland in Maine or 4,109,161½ acres. Massachusetts wanted money, thus the auction of their public lands.
The auction included a huge area bounded on the west by the Penobscot and on the east by the Schoodic (St. Croix) rivers included 12 townships, some in Penobscot County and some in Washington County. Those that are or were organized and had names are Winn, Webster, Prentiss, Brookton, Forest, Mattawamkeag, Kingman, Drew and Danforth. Never organized are T8R3, T11R3, and T8R4.
Lands for sale in Washington County included 200 acres from each of the towns of Jonesborough, Dennysville and Perry, and 320 acres from the town of Columbia. The unorganized townships 13, 14, and 18 [BPP ED] had 320 acres each for sale. Remembering that Washington County went north to near the St. Lawrence River, we find 200 acres of Township 10, 160 acres in Portland Academy Grant [Bridgewater}, and 320 acres of T1R1 offered.
Of greater significance to us is the sale of all reserved lots conveyed to William Bingham in Washington and Hancock counties excepting townships 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 in the South Range. These townships are somewhat between Ellsworth and Cherryfield. The reserved lots conveyed to Bingham that were for sale totaled 56,320 acres.
Reserved Lots or Public Reserved Lots
In 1786 General Court of Massachusetts passed an Act concerning sale of Eastern Lands in Maine by Lottery and reserved four lots of 320 acres in each township, for the benefit of schools and ministry. In 1788 the Act was revised to grant 320 acres to the first settled minister, 320 for the ministry, 320 for common schools and 320 acres for the future use of the state. In 1831 Maine changed the acres to 1000 per township and it was to benefit primary schools. From page 31, The Length and Breadth of Maine by Stanley Attwood.
In 1828 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts [George W. Coffin, etc.] sold by deed [volume 18, page 359] to William Vance of Baring reserved lots in Baring, Baileyville, Alexander and Crawford.
Baring and Baileyville [Townships 6 & 7 PS on his early map] were actually surveyed in 1784 by Rufus Putnam. On his map/plan he showed a Public Education Lot being one-mile east – west and ½ mile north – south [320 acres] and another lot of the same size and shape marked School Lot [320 acres]. Elsewhere are two more lots of the same size and shape marked Minister’s Lot and Ministry Lot, each 320 acres. That made a total of 1280 acres set aside for the benefit of the early settlers.
In 1786 Putnam stayed in Boston and drew a plan for the other townships that would be part of the Massachusetts Land Lottery, and on its failure, would eventually become William Bingham’s million acres between the Penobscot and Schoodic [St. Croix] rivers. The original lot plans of Alexander [16 BPP ED], Crawford [20 BPP Ed] and most other townships were similar with the four reserved lots located roughly in the middle of the township.
Benjamin R. Jones used Putnam’s plan for each township and in 1808 actually surveyed Alexander and made most lots ½ mile by ½ mile or 160 acres to accommodate potential settlers. Jones showed the same land set-aside for the reserved lots, but two smaller lots were needed to make the required acres. The lots set aside for the first settled Minister were 47 and 48 [320 acres] and for the Ministry were lots 49 and 50 [320 acres]. The church of the day was the Congregational. Lots 79 and 80 [320 acres] were reserved for Public Education and lots 81 and 82 [320 acres] made up the School Lot.
Crawford’s Public Lots appeared with the same names on Putnam’s 1786 Plan. We will use lot numbers for these based on Richard Hayden’s 1840 map/plan. Lots 55 and 56 [320 acres] are the Minister’s Lot; lots 57 and 58 [320 acres] are the Ministry Lot, again with the same shape. These lots are on either side of Crawford Lake. The Public Education Lot and the School Lot are lots 91 and 92 [320 acres] and lots 93 and 94 [320 acres]. These are located one mile south of lots 55, 56, 57 and 58.
Some organized towns in Maine still own their public lots. Income from the forest products helps with their education budgets.
Maine gained ownership of half of the unsold and un-granted wildland [4,109,161½ acres] when it was separated from Massachusetts. These deeds included the reserved lots in Unorganized Townships.
In some Unorganized Townships, these reserved lots had been absorbed by the big landowners. The land never had been purchased but the timber and hay had been harvested for a century and a half. [Remember that oxen and horses used in logging were fueled by hay] In other townships the timber and grass rights on these reserved lots were legally acquired. But, these rights were not ‘in perpetuity’ but for the crop growing at the time of the deed. In fact these lots that had been set up to benefit the settlers of the townships ended up benefiting major landowners.
Most remember when the reserved lots in the unorganized townships were consolidated into 29 units by the state in 1973. It appeared that these unorganized townships would never attract settlers and so the elected leaders in Augusta decided that the lands should benefit all the people of Maine. The Bureau of Public Lands was created in 1973 to manage the consolidated reserved lots for the people of Maine. The first transfer of clear title was of 10,500 acres by Boise-Cascade Company of Rumford. That was December 19, 1977.
The Maine Public Reserved Lands in Washington County are 11,000 acres at Rocky Lake on Route 191 in Berry Township, The Bold Coast near Cutler and The Great Heath on the Pleasant River north of Columbia Falls.
1823 Massachusetts advertises land for sale in Maine
An interview with Ananiah Bohanon in 1870, reprinted in a 1935 copy of the Calais Advertiser, gives important information about early settlers of Township 16, now Alexander.
The first clearing was made by William Connie (Connick) and Samuel Perkins in lot 93 on a farm occupied in 1870 by John Gooch. Bohanon does not mention and likely was unaware that Samuel Brown was settled on lot 9 on the north edge of town, In fact the census taker thought Brown was in Princeton. Lot plan by B. R. Jones in 1808, major roads added.
Bohanon states that in “1811 Ananiah Bohanon (lot 65), William D. Crockett (lot 92) and Eliab Spring (lot ?) and others settled in different parts of the Township… In the year 1813, four families came from Machias and settled on Break Neck Hill.” We must remind readers that the village of East Machias was part of Machias until 1826. These families probably were John Babcock, Jesse Fenlason, Mark Fenlason and Eben Gooch (all settled on lot 97).
William & Susan (Sherman) Thurston had child in Alexander in 1819
Several business records help us create a list of early settlers. John Black was the agent for Baring Brother’s Bank that owned an undivided interest in this land. Black intended to turn this land into cash by selling it to farmers. Here are some of his records, as collected by his sub-agents From the Black Papers (2119.0510) at the Maine State Archives we learn that Caleb Pike in 1812 agreed to pay $160 for lot 76.
Again from MSA, a list of Settlers since November 24, 1810 on # 16 dated February 25, 1816 by Theodore Lincoln gives the following names.
Ananiah Bohanon, JR
John G. Taylor
Another list at Maine State Archives created by James Dinsmore and George Ulmer (for Black) gives settlement dates. From that list we give names not found above and with dates before 1820
Samuel F. Anderson 1817
John Foss 1812
Nathaniel Bailey 1818
David Bailey 1818
Joseph Frost 1816
Jacob Frost 1819
John Moore 1819
Jeremiah Frost 1818, died 1821
Also from Dinsmore & Ulmer: The following were not found on old list, are ‘off’ the new list, i.e. they were here but have moved elsewhere.
Reuben Washburn off 1813
Caleb Pike off 1814
George Hill off 1813
William Morrison off 1820
Granger Spring off 1815
John Kelly killed in the last war
The one official list of early settlers is the1820 census, taken from Vital Records of Alexander, Maine compiled by Sharon Howland. Names in order of census record.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF SETTLERS
AND OTHERS WHO WANTED TO BUY LAND IN ALEXANDER
Let’s look at historic
records to find out a little about these men. We’ll look at Town Clerk’s
records kept by John G. Taylor and his successors, census records and
deeds. The Town Clerk’s records are at the Maine State Archives in
Augusta and were collected by Ellen Fenlason and Sharon Howland. Deeds
are at the Court House in Machias. Here we put the names in alphabetical
order and spelling has been standardized. Last names of children are
omitted except where more than one family name is found within the
Included on this list are men who petitioned for Incorporation of the Town of Alexander granted January 19, 1825. Readers will note that more than a few of those listed below were neither an early settler nor a petition signer. Since later records indicate that no money down was required for one to claim a lot of land, it appears that many risked nothing to claim a lot, then came to look at the lot. Finding no gold mines, rock free fertile fields or forests of tall pines awaiting the axe, these speculators returned home, leaving Alexander to the others. Several settlers also petitioned the Legislature for Alexander to become a town.
* Samuel F. Anderson between
1816 and 1820 agreed to acquire a lot of land in Alexander. He is not
listed in Alexander Vitals. NFI
* Israel Andrews signed to buy
land in Alexander before 1820. He is not listed in Alexander Vitals. He
was a resident of Township #14 (now Cathance Township) from before the
1820 census until after the 1850 census
* John Babcock (early settler)
was born on October 6, 1780. Catherine Davis was born on May 1, 1789.
They were married on December 17, 1809 and were in Eastport in 1810.
They had the following children: Barzillia Mosher born November 6, 1810;
Clarisa Ann born April 18, 1815 & died September 12, 1824; May Elizabeth
born August 5, 1817; Naomi Ann born April 13, 1820; Johnathen Freeman
born October 1, 1822; Esther Jane born January 18, 1825 and John
Middleton born November 2, 1827. John Babcock and his family arrived
here as early as 1813 and definitely before 1820. They came from East
Machias and resided on Breakneck (lot 97). The family moved to
Campobello just prior to 1830.
* David Bailey, oldest child of Nathaniel and Mary listed next, married Elizabeth Ann George, born October 16, 1808, on December 26, 1822. Their children were Clarinda born August 13, 1827 at Calais; William Henry born June 15, 1829; Levi born May 14, 1831 Mary Caroline & Rosina Julia born February 12, 1833; Irene (Jane) born January 4, 1835; and Israel born April 27, 1838. All children but Clarinda born in Baileyville. Rebecca Tucker, second wife of David born July 2, 1820. David Bailey died on December 23, 1879. David Bailey agreed to buy land from the Bingham heirs in 1818. He lived in Baileyville until after 1860 when he moved to Alexander, his father’s place on lot 77 according to Wallings 1861 map. .
* Nathaniel Bailey (early settler) was born on October 8, 1773. Mary Frost was born September 23, 1874. They were married on October 24, 1797. Their children were David Emery born August 24, 1798; Mary Harrington born May 14, 1800; Nathaniel JR born March 28, 1802; Lydia born July 8, 1804; Rhoda born July 15, 1806; Abraham born December 21, 1809; Jeremiah born August 3, 1812; Eliza born September 17, 1814 and Esther born March 13, 1817. Nathan Bailey died December 3, 1853 and his wife Mary died June 24, 1854. Nathaniel and his family came from Baileyville and settled on lot 77 before 1820
* Ananiah Bohanon (early settler & petitioner) was born on July 12, 1788. Amelia Campbell was born on April 11, 1792 and died February 7, 1857. They were married on June 29, 1815. Their children were Mary Ann Campbell born May 30, 1813; William Bohanon born April 3, 1816; John Campbell Bohanon born August 23, 1817; Amelia C. Bohanon born February 8, 1820; Hannah Bohanon born March 21, 1822; Margaret Hall Bohanon born May 21, 1824; Ananiah Jones Bohanon born February 3, 1826; Hiram Coffin Bohanon born December 5, 1827; Eliza Hall Bohanon born January 3, 1830 and died March 12, 1830; James Madison Bohanon born February 20, 1831; Samuel Hall Bohanon born December 2, 1833. About 1811 Ananiah came from Calais and settled on lot 65. The earliest document we find is a letter of 1836 from John Black, Baring Brothers agent, acknowledging Bohanon’s occupation of the lot. He and his family are recorded on the 1820 census and subsequent census records. Part of this lot today is home to one of his g-g-g grandsons
* Samuel Brown (early settler) was born on May 10, 1875 in New Hampshire. Dorcas Libby was born on September 13, 1785 in Scarborough, ME. They were married on February 6, 1802 and had the following children: Daniel born January 28, 1803; Samuel JR born May 10, 1805; Mary born March 25, 1807; Enoch born March 8, 1809; Ephriam born April 28, 1811; Elijah born November 17, 1813 and Rachel born May 11, 1816. Samuel Brown died in August 1851. Samuel came to Princeton before 1810 to live near his friend Moses Bonney. He picked the next ridge to the south from Moses for his home site and it turned out to be lot 9 in Alexander. The 1810 and 1820 census showed Samuel in Princeton. By 1830 he was listed in Alexander. Thus he was the first settler in Alexander; did he arrive in 1810 or earlier?
* John Butler (petitioner) was born October 23, 1795 in Kingston Parish NB. Rebecca Fanjoy was born February 7, 1798 at St. John, NB. They were married September 16, 1817 and their children were Samuel born June 9, 1820 at St. John; William Henry born December 8, 1822 at St. John; Ephriam Harvey born August 17, 1825 and died September 13, 1826 at Calais; Joseph Ephriam born July 5, 1827 at Calais; John Manly born July 19, 1827 at Calais; Daniel Gray born September 9, 1831 at Calais. The above birth records indicate that John was in Alexander briefly, at best. It was Joel Butler, likely his brother who resided here, probably on lot 105 before leaving Alexander after the 1830 census
* Enoch Chase was of Township #6 (Baring) on July 17, 1813 when he married Ann Vance. Ann was born on February 9, 1793 at St Davids NB. He drowned while river driving on May 17, 1817. He had agreed to buy a lot in Alexander prior to 1816. His widow married Rufus K. Lane.
* Stephen Connick (petitioner) was likely the oldest son of William listed below.
* William Connick (early settler and petitioner) was born on July 25, 1872. Sarah Hall was born September 16, 1784. They were married on November 16, 1802. There children were Stephen born January 21 1804; Maryann born August 4, 1805; Levi born March 16, 1808; Joanna born May 15, 1810; William JR born July 13, 1812; Susannah born March 2, 1815; Samuel born July 3, 1817; Emily G. born July 15, 1819 and Margaret born February 12, 1822. Sarah’s father Stephen Hall died at their Alexander home on March 24, 1834, Susannah Connick had a daughter on March 13, 1838 named Almira Caroline Cross. William Connick and his family arrived here before 1820 and were long time residents. Census records of 1830 indicate Connick also lived on lot 105
* Aaron Corson wished to get a
lot here prior to 1816. He is not listed in Alexander Vitals. He may
have been of Calais. NFI
* Samuel Cottle (early settler)
was born April 15, 1786. Elizabeth Hatch was born on February 24, 1781.
They were married on April 29, 1809 and had the se children: Charles
born May 21, 1809; Samuel JR born November 23, 1815 & died October 1857;
John Fields born January 7, 1818; Nancy Boulton born April 4, 1819 (wife
of Ephriam Brown); Hampden Cutts born October 10, 1823 and Dolly Cottle
born April 4, 1844 daughter of Nancy Boulton. Elizabeth Cottle died
March 12, 1855 and Samuel her husband died June 12, 1867. Both buried at
Samuel and his family arrived probably before 1816 and were here in 1820. He may have settled on lot 64 briefly, but later was on lot 78. Samuel was tax collector for a number of years.
* William D. Crockett (early settler and petitioner) was born on January 10, 1782. Mary Barber was born on September 18, 1784. They were married on November 3, 1804. They were in Calais in 1810. Their children were Ann born June 16, 1805; Rebecca Chatman born August 3, 1807; Almira Catherine born March 23, 1810; Mary Isabelle born May 25, 1812; Harriet born January 9, 1816; William Harrison born November 26 and Cordelia born January 25, 1824. Mary Crockett died on July 8, 1855 and William D. on February 29, 1862. Harriet Crockett was married to Barzillia Babcock on August 4, 1836 by John G. Taylor. Their daughter Clarisa Anne Babcock was born on March 7, 1838.
William Crockett was part of the
defense of Eastport during the War of 1812 in Col. Oliver Shead’s 3rd
Regiment. He came here with his family before 1820 and settled of lot
92, later known as Sears’ Corner. William and Mary are likely buried
under a maple tree south of their house site along with a grandson’s
wife, Lucy Davis. Descendants of William and Mary are found in this
* Joseph Davis (early settler & petitioner) was born February 1, 1798 at Cornwallis, NS. Rebecca Chatman Crockett was born at Calais on August 3, 1807. They were married on January 6, 1828 and had the following children William Valentine born July 22, 1829 in Alexander; Alvira Ann and Almira Emeline twins born July 2, 1831 in Alexander; Charles Dinson born August 31, 1835 and Mary Malvina born May 9, 1840.
Joseph Davis was in Robbinston in 1810. He was a veteran of the War of 1812 in Col. Oliver Shead’s 3rd Regiment.. He came to Alexander prior to 1820. He was in Alexander until he appears in Crawford for the 1850 census. They may have lived in her parents’ house or in that neighborhood.
* Nathaniel Davis (early settler) may have been a brother of Joseph. He was living alone according to the 1820 census after which he disappeared from our records. .
* Samuel Day wanted to buy a lot in Alexander between 1810 and 1816. He is not listed in Alexander Vitals. A Samuel Day was taxed in Calais in 1823. NFI
* Samuel Dunn (early settler and petitioner) was born on March 15, 1773. Dorcas Cobb was born on June 13, 1783. After their marriage they had Fanny born May 9, 1802; Samuel JR born September 21, 1804; Betsey born March 7, 1806; Levi Cobb born August 24, 1812; Charles Bean born December 10, 1815; Harriot Newill born February 14, 1818 and Laura Jane born November 2, 1820. Dorcas Cobb Dunn died in September 1847 followed seven months by her husband. Samuel Dunn arrived here from Calais before 1820 and settled on lot 86 (329 Arm Road). He and Dorcas are likely buried on the lot. Making connections to neighbors and other signers of the petition, their daughter Betsey married Joel Scott and son Charles married Samuel Scribner’s daughter Olive.
* Jesse Fenlason (early settler) was born on March 18, 1784. Olive Sevey was born on March 12, 1784. They were married on November 30, 1809. Their children: Abigail born June 25, 1808; David born June 22, 1810; Daniel born December 21, 1811; Deborah Sevey born February 23, 1815; Olive born March 18, 1822 and Oliver Jesse born January 30, 1825. Jesse agreed to buy a lot here before 1816. He and his family arrived before 1820, maybe in 1813, and were here until after 1830. The family settled on Breakneck and it was his son David who owned the lot
* John Fenlason signed to buy a lot in Alexander between 1810 and 1816. He is not listed in Alexander Vitals. NFI
* Mark Fenlason (early settler) was born on July 4, 1788. Sally Elsmore was born on March 24, 1793. They were married on October 20, 1811 and had these children: Sally born April 14, 1812; Freeman Putnam born June 4, 1814 (the first recorded child born in Alexander); Mary Ann born March 12, 1817; Daniel Allen born January 13, 1819; Lydia born January 23, 1821; Nancy born November 24, 1822; Mark Harris born March 23, 1825; Ruth Allen born February 21, 1827; Hannah born May 25, 1830 and Moses Stillman born April 27, 1832 Mark Fenlason wanted a lot of land here before 1816. He arrived before 1820, was it in 1813? He and his family settled on lot 97, Breakneck Mountain.
* Wallace Fenlason SR (early settler) died May 27, 1827. He was in the household of Nathaniel Fenlason who was born on April 17, 1775. Mary Greenlow was born September 1, 1780. They were married on June 19, 1803 and were the parents of eight children, Charles born March 13, 1806; Loiza born April 20, 1808; Lucy born July 27, 1810; Jane born June 22, 1812; Harriet born December 17, 1814; Henry James born May 1817; Jedediah born Greenlow born December 6, 1820 and Nathaniel Sawyer born August 7, 1825. Nathaniel Fenlason died on August 21, 1832. This family appeared of the 1820 census. Wallace had not requested land prior to settlement and settled on lot 97, the north west corner on land owned by Caleb Carey.
* William Fenlason signed for
land between 1810 and 1816. He is not listed in Alexander Vitals. NFI
* Peter Flood (early settler & petitioner) was born on December 6, 1778. Lucy Snow was born on November 27, 1787. They were married on June 12, 1803 and had the following children, Lucy born November 25, 1804; Betsey born November 1, 1807; Jeremiah C. born February 1, 1810; George W. born March 5, 1813; Almira born February 2, 1816 & died August 4, 1830; Julia born January 13, 1819; Daniel born December 29, 1820; John Atteson Colby born February 24, 1824; Westley (Wesley) born January 26, 1827 and Levi born April 12, 1829. Peter flood died August 27, 1845. His wife Lucy died August 20, 1862. Both died in Alexander and are buried in marked graves in the family cemetery near the house site. Peter Flood arrived from Eastport in Alexander in 1811, in the first group of settlers. This family settled on lot 112, next to what then was the south line of Alexander. Members of the family still reside in town.
* John Foss agreed to buy a lot in Alexander between 1816 and 1820. He is not listed in Alexander Vitals. Was he the Mr. Foss, Free Will Baptist preacher, who was in Alexander in 1816 according to Annaniah Bohanon? NFI
* Jacob Frost (early settler) was born on January 2, 1795 at St. Stephen NB. He was a son of Jeremiah SR and Esther Rolf Frost. Jacob appears in Alexander vitals only within his birth family and in the 1820 census that gives four males and three females:
one male 16 – 18 yrs; two males 16 – 26 yrs; one male 26 – 45 yrs
one female 0 – 10 yrs; one female 16 – 26 yrs; one female 45 yrs or over
Sometime before the 1830 census Jacob and family moved, likely to what now is Meddybemps.
* Jeremiah Frost was born January 5, 1744 at Berwick NH. Alexander Vitals gives his death date as March 3, 1820 in Alexander. Jeremiah married Esther Rolf on December 14, 1773 and had two children besides Jacob and Joseph who had Alexander connections. Their first child Mary married Nathaniel Bailey listed above and their third child, Jeremiah JR was in Alexander by the 1830 census living on the east part of lot 66. Jeremiah SR and sons Jacob and Joseph each requested a lot of land here between 1816 and 1820.
* Joseph Frost was born on April 11, 1777 at St Stephen. Alexander Vitals gives no family data on Joseph. In 1830 he was living next door to his brother Jeremiah. There are three house sites on the lot, and probably a fourth site. There also is a small cemetery where family tradition have Jeremiah Jr and his wife Sally Thompson buried. I wonder if several of their children are there and Jeremiah SR.
* Warren Gilman (early settler & petitioner) was born on December 10, 1785. Nancy Poor was born March 1, 1789. They were married in February 1815. The family listed by John G. Taylor included Susannah Keith born November 18, 1807; William Asa Keith born September 3, 1810; Maryann Gilman born May 30, 1815; Nancy Gilman born May 21, 1817; Levi Gilman born August 20. 1819 & died May 5, 1822; Warren Gilman JR born March 11, 1821; Sophia Gilman born May 5, 1823 and Fanny Newel born April 4, 1825. Gilman does not appear on the 1820 census of Alexander or Cooper, but is found in Cooper in 1830 with fifteen living under one roof. He lived in Cooper on the Northeast Ridge near the Dennys River, was a mill owner and that village was called Gilman’s Mills before Meddybemps. He purchased by deed lot 59 (site of Lords Farm Museum in 2011) in Alexander in 1827.
* Ebenezer Gooch
(early settler & petitioner) was born on August 26, 1766. Betsey Avey
was born on March 11, 1771. They were married on June 20 1786 and had
the following children, Daniel born April 22, 1798; Joel born January
26, 1802; John Born February 16, 1804 and Betsey born January 9, 1808.
Ebenezer died on June 1, 1856 and his wife died February 8, 1857.
Ebenezer arrived in Alexander before 1820 on Breakneck Mountain and
resided here until death. Think of this family as you drive up or down
Gooch Hill on the Cooper Road.
* Joel Gooch (early settler & petitioner) was born at Machias on January 26, 1802. Hannah Gooch was born on April 18, 1817 at East Machias. They married on June 20, 1833 and had the following children, Orinda born November 24, 1834; Augusta born March 1, 1837 & died January 31, 1838; Benjamin Augustus born January 4, 1840; Franklin born September 21, 1841; Henry born August 15, 1843 and Elbert Leander born January 28 1849. Joel Gooch died (in the well) on August 10, 1852. Joel Gooch came to Alexander as a young man with his parents and resided on Breakneck (lot 97) and later on lot 98.
* George Hill
had his name taken off the lot owners’ list in 1813 by James Dinsmore
and George Ulmer. NFI
* “John Kelly
killed in the last war.” as per Dinsmore and Ulmer. NFI
* John Moore
(early settler & petitioner) was born December 2, 1795 in Ireland. Nancy
Moholland was born on October 8, 1805. They were married on October 9,
1823 and had the following, Albion K Parris born September 21, 1824;
James born December 30, 1829 and John Moholland born June 4, 1837 & died
August 1837. John Moore died June 4, 1852 and Nancy died on December 29,
1856. John Moore settled here before 1820 on a 20-acre farm on lot 78.
The parents of this family died here and are buried somewhere on their
* William Morrison
was taken off the lot owners’ list by Dinsmore and Ulmer in 1820. NFI
* Paul Morse was born on September 15, 1785 at Newbury MA. He married on December 22, 1831 the widow Mary Ann Trask who was born on September 10, 1797 in Kings County NB. Her son was John William henry Trask born at Eastport on September 2, 1816. Paul died on October 31, 1855 and Mary Ann on July 7, 1858. Paul Morse was listed only on the 1840 and 1850 census records. He signed a bond to acquire lot 106 from the Bingham Heirs in 1856. This is the same lot where John G. Taylor lived until 1841. As a matter of interest the 1840 census records Taylor, Morse and J. W. H. Trask as neighbors. However we found his name on Cooledge & Mansfield’s list of early settlers and on Theodore Lincoln’s list of settlers here as of 1816. Lot 91 traditionally has been called the Morse Lot and a cellar by the road may well be the first place where Paul Morse lived in Alexander.
* Samuel Perkins
was named by Ananiah Bohanon as clearing lot 93 with William Connick. We
find no record of a Samuel Perkins who was of the age to have been here
at that time. Was he another speculator? Did Bohanon or reporter get the
name mixed up?
* Solomon Perkins
(early settler) was born on July 27, 1790. Nancy Bennett was born in
September 1791. They were married on June 14, 1811 and were parents of
five sons. Ebenezer born April 23, 1812 likely at St Davids NB; James
born February 2, 1814 (Pliney E. Frost states James born in Alexander);
Henry born April 6, 1818 (at Baileyville); Solomon JR born February 1,
1819 (at Alexander) and Daniel born September 20, 1821 (at Alexander).
PEF also states that both parents died before the 1830 census.
* Caleb Pike is listed by Cooledge & Mansfield as an early settler. He agreed to by lot 76, was on the 1816 list of settlers and listed as off the list in 1820. NFI
* Joel Scott (petitioner) was born on September 18, 1796. Betsey Dunn was born on March 7, 1806. They were married on July 31, 1835. Their children were Joel Theodore born April 22, 1826; Henry Allen born September 15, 1827; Silas Ira born August 7, 1829; Elvira Olive born March 27, 1831; Mary Elizabeth born January 24, 1834; Charles Dunn born December 12, 1835 and Phebe Emeline Hester Anne born July 16, 1838. Joel Scott did not come to Alexander until after the 1820 census. And departed prior to the 1850 census. I expect that Joel and his family lived on lot 77 where Claudious Huff would settle after 1850.
* Samuel Scribner (early settler & petitioner) was born on June 19, 1784. Phebe Scott was born on October 22, 1791. They were married on October 22, 1812. Their children were Olive Abigail born July 17, 1813; Caroline Elizabeth born February 20, 1815; Theodore born April 14, 1819; Love Emeline born December 11, 1820; Phebe born February 4, 1823; Samuel Albert born May 24, 1825; Joel Scott born March 29, 1827; and George Stillman Smith born February 13, 1829. Samuel Scribner died April 1830. Samuel and his family arrived in Alexander prior to 1820. He is not listed in 1830 but his widow continued to live here. Imagine the challenges she faced. Descendants of Samuel and Phebe could be found here until after WWII.
* Jeremiah Spearin (petitioner) was born on April 14, 1802. Rhoda Bayley was born on July 15, 1806. They were married on July 1, 1824 and had children as follow, Thomas Bean born January 30 1825; William born December 15, 18826; Jeremiah JR born February 11, 1829, Nathaniel Bayley born October 7, 1831; Esther Lousa born February 22, 1834; John Gilman born June 19, 1836; Jefferson born March 24, 1839; Leonard born June 17, 1842; Lourana born June 30, 1845 and Leander Merrill born April 18, 1848. Jeremiah and his family first appear on the Alexander 1840 census. Rhoda was a daughter of Nathaniel #2 and Mary (Frost) Bayley. No Spearin is found in 1820 – 30 census records of Baileyville or Calais nor on Bingham’s list of settlers. For an unknown number of years, Jeremiah and family lived on the south part of lot 82 on what today is called the Spearin Road.
* John M. Sprague (petitioner) was born on July 12, 1790. Hannah Andrews was born on October 18, 1798 They were married on December 31, 1821. Their children William Adna born May 25, 1825, died March 11, 1828; Aaron Edgar was born March 21, 1827. Miner Sprague was in Colonel Oliver Shedd’s 3rd Regiment in the War of 1812. He does not appear on any census record for Alexander, but likely was here when the two children listed by Taylor were born. The family moved to Baileyville where three more children were born.
* Eliab Spring was on Ananiah Bohanon’s list of settlers. NFI
* Granger Spring was listed as being off the settler list in 1820. William and Nancy and their children came from Calais before 1840 and settled on lot 80. Where the other two related to him? NFI
* Jesse Stephenson (early settler & petitioner) was born on June 2, 1784. Elizabeth Lilly was born on May 22, 1785. They were married on March 29, 1807. Their children were Margaret Loring born December 3, 1807; Caroline born October 7, 1809; Elisha born July 5, 1811; Elizabeth born August 1, 1813; Lucia born May 31, 1816; Hannah born November 18, 1818; Jesse JR born May 18, 1821; Rachel born May 2, 1823; Luke born October 30, 1825’ James Ripley born May 6, 1828 and Harriet Lydia born April 2, 1830. Elizabeth (Lilly) Stephenson died October 29. 1860. Jesse Stephenson came from Massachusetts and was in Eastport in 1810. He was part of the War of 1812 in Col. Oliver Shead’s 3rd Regiment. He came here prior to 1820, settled on lot 94 at the foot of Pleasant Lake where he set up a saw and gristmill on 16th Stream. His daughter Caroline married John W. Dwelley who took over the land and mills. Stephenson’s descendants of the Dwelley name are still residents of Alexander.
* Solomon Strout (petitioner) was born on May 19, 1801 at Limington. Lydia Bayley was born on July 8, 1804 in Township 7 (Baileyville). They were married on May 19, 1824 and had the following children, Adna Elisha born April 20, 1824 & died October 1, 1849; Solomon JR born April 8, 1827; Eliza Jane born March 3, 1830 & died July 3, 1849; Lydia Brewster born November 24, 1832; Elizabeth Adams born April 7, 1835 & died July 7, 1850; Rhoda Bayley born September 15, 1837; Dresden Diploma born May 19, 1840; Eunice born; Lydia B born March 23; Eliza Elizabeth Jane born January 8, 1850. Lydia (Bayley) Strout died on May 28, 1862. Solomon Strout and Mary Ann (Lane) Howe were married on December 19, 1862. Mary Ann born September 29, 1830. She brought two daughters into the home, Abbie L Howe born September 30, 1856 and Lizzie M. Howe born April 22, 1859. Mary Ann and Solomon had one child Walter L Strout born July 17, 1864. Solomon Strout SR died on July 16, 1872. Solomon came to Alexander after the 1820 census and settled on the west half of lot 66. His descendants are still found in Alexander.
* John G. Taylor (petitioner) became Plantation Clerk as early as 1823, shortly after he arrived here and he served as town clerk until 1838. We know he kept wonderful records of Alexander’s families but he provided no information about himself. Another clerk recorded, “John G. Taylor, Esquire, died at Alexander on October 14, 1841.” He likely had lived alone on lot 106.
* William and Susan Thurston are listed as early settlers by Cooledge & Mansfield. This source also indicated they had a child in Alexander in 1819. Louise Gower Worster states that William died on January 10, 1839. Susan Sherman was born in New Brunswick. Their child was Almira born August 16, 1819 in Alexander. They were gone before the 1820 census.
* Reuben Washburn had his name
taken off the request list for a lot in Alexander in 1813. His name does
not appear in Alexander Vitals. NFI
* Cyrus Young was listed by
Cooledge & Mansfield as an early settler. See next. NFI
* David Young was listed in
1816 as a lot holder. A David Young was on the 1830 Calais tax record.
NFI Of interest from Alexander Vitals, page 114, “Mrs. Mary Young
died April 18, 1814 being first death within limits of the Town, aged 27
years.” Mary was a sister of Amelia Campbell Bohanon, wife of Ananiah.
She may be buried in the family cemetery on lot 65. Was she a wife of
Cyrus or David? Were the men related?