19th century Maps of Whitefield
Aside the assorted
plot plans by various surveyors, our first actual town map was created by
selectman / tax collector Eliakim Scammon in 1816. It was drawn on calf or
sheepskin parchment . He drew two maps - East of the Sheepscot River and
West of the Sheepscot. Only the map of the East side survives today. This
wonderful tool has a long and colorful history.
For years these original maps were passed among townspeople ( loaned as it were, from the selectmen) who were interested in lumbering.
Sometime in the later part of the century the town had the map redrawn into a single version - this "Scammon Plan" was a composite of the earlier version and any revisions made later - It became quite a historic instrument, indeed it became so controversial in it's un-updated state, that it became reason enough to sabotage any effort to create a new "tax map" right up into the 1950's.
The original parchment was discovered in such a delicate and perilous condition that it was transferred to the Osher Map Library at USM for safekeeping and eventual reconstruction. Rudimentary digital images were made from it and can be accessed here.
The famous Chance 1857 subscription wall map of Lincoln County includes valuable data in that homeowners are listed - The Whitefield section can bee seen here also.