An Illustrated Timeline of Alexander, Maine 




1940 census = 292

1941 Pearl Harbor – 56 Alexander men served their country. Only one did not return. That was Alton “Jimmy” Bohanon who drowned in a tank while crossing a river in the Holland - Belgium area on December 21, 1944.

1944 – 45 POW: In the spring of 1944 a Prisoner of War camp was established at the recently abandoned CCC camp on Indian Township. Between 250 and 500 German prisoners were housed here until mid 1945. Most were under age 24 and had been captured in North Africa. These men worked in the woods, mostly cutting pulpwood. The local men who had done this job were off to war! When the men came home from war, they weren’t content to work on the farms and in the woods in winter, Also machines like tractors, chainsaws and skidders meant fewer workers were needed. Fewer jobs lead to population decline.

1947 Elbridge McArthur became one of the first to commute to work in Woodland from Alexander



as printed in issue 125 of the ACHS Newsletter

October 1947 is considered the worst time in Maine forest fire history. A period of 108 days with no measurable rain started in mid-July leaving vegetation, wells, and streams bone dry. October 5th was the first day of Fire Prevention Week in Maine. That day the temperature reached 80 degrees in Bangor and five fires were burning in Washington County, including the Centerville fire. A hundred-acre fire at Bar Harbor had burned all weekend, but was contained. Within hours all that changed when the wind started blowing. Bar Harbor and York County suffered the most and are remembered by many. The Centerville fire eventually consumed 19,970 acres. Statewide that month, sixteen people lost their lives and 2500 were made homeless. 205,678 acres of forests, fields and pasture were burned.

The Maine fire that burned the most acres was the Miramichi fire of October 7, 1825. There also was a Miramichi fire in New Brunswick on the same day and that is how the Maine fire got its name. The Canadian fire burned forests, farms, and several villages. The Maine Miramichi fire burned 832,000 acres of forestland.

Man starts 80% of the forest fires, and lightning starts the rest. The cause of the Centerville fire was smoking. Of 533 fires in unorganized towns in 1947, 12 were caused by lightning, 109 had unknown origins, and the rest were caused by man.

Forest fire detection and fighting have changed greatly in the past century. Between 1910 and 1920 forest fires averaged 205 acres in size, fifty years later, each fire averaged 2.5 acres. It was in the teens that the state started having lookout towers connected by telephones. By 1947, airplanes were used to spot fires and radio information to the firefighters.

The purpose of this paper is to look at the fires of October 1947 that occurred in Township #19. Unfortunately, the Department of Conservation threw away all the records of all 1947 fires in the mid-eighties, so our official record of these fires is brief. We do have some great memories to share and some memories of other fires at the time.

OFFICIAL RECORD: The Forest Commissioner’s Report for 1947 - 48 states:

Township #19 ED on October 22 a fire started by lightning eventually burned 10 acres. *

Township #19 ED on October 25 a fire started by campfire eventually burned 275 acres.*

Township #19 ED on October 25 a fire started by unknown eventually burned 10 acres. –Nfi-


MEMORIES OF THE #19 FIRES: I thank those who shared these memories. Their names are in bold print. It is amazing how much detail was remembered after a half century. These are much more interesting than the Official Record.

*The first three accounts are about the October 22 fire.

Cecil Keen tells about the night, “My brother Horace and I were out to the Frank Day Field looking for the Bar Harbor fire. We could see the glow in the sky. Then Horace saw a fire in #19. We went to my father’s place and called Everett Grant, he was the fire warden down in Marion. He told us to get a crew and go in and put out the fire.” Those who arrived at the fire site about 2 AM the next morning included Harold Vining, Phillip Day, Harold Sadler, Wesley Ireland, Alden Keith, Horace, and Cecil. They were on the scene three days and nights with no break. “We were ten days getting that fire out. It started from lightning, there had been an old ripper of a storm the night before.”

“Everett got a 6x6 army vehicle from Cole Bridges, Elbridge McArthur drove it. He’d bring us food and pumps and hose, we had to put a pole bridge across Northern Stream. We had a hose from the stream to the fire, about half a mile, filled our 5 gallon Indian pump cans.”

“We slept on the ground. Women made the food, sent it in on the truck. We were fed better than at home. We couldn’t use the pumped water for coffee, it tasted of gas. Wes Ireland found a spring for coffee water. Once when Wes was coming back in the dark, Horace tried to scare him from behind a tree. Wes set down the pails, took out his jackknife and said, “All right, Mr. Fire Bug, I’ve got you now.”

This fire was east of the 19 Road, between Spectacle Lake and the Cooper line. Cecil’s pants were so shredded that a man from East Machias asked him if he’d been clawed by a bear! He remembers there was no legal deer hunting season because of the dry conditions that year. He also remembers that Everett Grant was “liberal with the hours.”

Bill Hatfield was at that fire and added these names Cecil Hatfield, Everett Dwelley, and Glenwood Sadler. Bill recalls that “Wes Ireland kept the campfire going and the coffee pot hot. Men kept complaining that the coffee was weak. Wes finally put a pound of coffee in a 10-quart pail and boiled it. And it was so terrible they had to dilute it.”

“Another thing I remember was a fellow from Jacksonville who gathered dry pine branches one evening to keep the fire going. He had quite a large pile when we decided to put it all on the fire at once. Several of the men were sleeping near the fire. When it got too hot, they began to wake-up and turned the air blue with profanity while we stood back in the shadows and laughed. Wes Ireland was sleeping with his feet to the fire. His shoes got hot and he got up, but couldn’t stand on them. He got on his hands and knees and crawled away from the fire and went back to sleep.”

Alder H. Keith, Sr.’s account as told by his children Alden and Dorothy Nickerson. “He was staying out there on that fire for nearly a week, and when they finished mopping up every last spark, the fire warden told the men that they could all go home. It being late in the evening, Dad decided to head for camp (home) right through the woods. I remember him telling that it became pitch dark, as he was deep in the woods and that he headed toward the tower light on Cooper Hill. During his trek through the woods he sometimes fell into a wet bog hole or running brook. At no time was he ever afraid, he always said that wild animals are more afraid of you than you of them. Eventually he came out at Earl Frost’s blueberry field there on Cooper Hill and down the road to Cathance Lake and back to camp. No one would have followed my father on such a journey in the middle of the night, but this was his territory where he was brought up as a young man. He relished every tree in that forest.”

**The 275-acre fire, started by a campfire, was at Joe Hanscom Heath. That is west of the 19 Road, between it and the East Machias River.

Charlie White’s father Coolidge was a boss on this fire for at least two weeks. Coolidge had a car and State Trooper Moose Harriman gave Charlie permission to drive men to and from the fire even though he was too young for a license. Irving Bangs a clerk for Stowell-MacGregor drew a map of the fire. Charlie remembers that Cole Bridges had two 6x6s and a 10-wheeler tanker truck on this fire. Darrell Frost drove the tanker. Charlie remembers eating mustard sardines. Clifford Lund had a crew of men there from Machias.

Neil and Pike Seavey worked on a crew with Linwood Archer as boss. Lawrence McArthur, Orris Cousins, Raymond Flood, Orris McKeown and Frank Williams were also on this crew. Neil remembers the Spam sandwiches and that Frank Williams could work all day with a grub hoe. Bill Cushing was another boss. Elliot Hatt and Neil hauled food. Victor and Russell Archer and Cecil McKeown were also working on this fire. Neil remembers with disgust that the Red Cross charged 15 cents for coffee and a donut on the first day. That was when men got 75 cents an hour for fire fighting.

Gordon Lord wrote the following: In 1947 when a major forest fire hit Bar Harbor, we had our own fire to tend to. Smoke from a fire back in the woods of Township 19 was sighted and Bill Cushing began rounding up able bodies, both boys and men, to help fight the fire. We (Gordon, his brother Lawrence and their dad Joe Lord) arrived about two miles from the Crawford line where we found a group ready to move into the fire sight. Wardens issued hand pump Indian tanks. We filled them up and headed west toward the smoke. We walked perhaps a quarter of a mile when we came to a huge heath. Now we could see plainly the smoke and prior to getting all the way across the heath, about three quarters of a mile across we saw the fire on the treetops. Several of us boys were walking behind, our bodies struggling with the wicked load on our backs. Half way across the thick, soft, hard walking heath we decided to ease our load. When no men were looking, we would squirt some of the water onto the dry heath. I only had about 25 percent of my water left by the time we could feel the heat from the fire.

It was mid afternoon when we got to the fire and found the fire not raging as we expected although it was burning good. There was a brook nearby to refill our hungry tanks and no one was the wiser, about our loss of water. We fought the fire until l0pm when we went to a "safe place" to take a nap. After we were asleep, someone came and told us to get up quickly and move out because the fire had us nearly surrounded. That done and after another nap on the cold ground, (it was October), we grabbed our tanks and started off toward the fire. At least it would be warm there. When we arrived we found a larger group had arrived and those crews had now surrounded the perimeter of the fire. We were there 6 or 7 days moping up. Good use was made of Calais garage owner Cole Bridges' s army surplus 6 by 6 all terrain World War II surplus vehicles. They were great for carrying in fire fighting equipment, meals and transportation for fire fighters.

Late that fall Dad was hired to cut all the usable trees on the burn site. If trees are cut soon after a burn, they still are usable. Most of the trees in the area were pine so they were cut into 12,14 and 16-foot logs for lumber. We built a hovel for the horse to stay in all winter near water and the horse hauled in enough of his own food to last all winter. We walked or snow shoed in all winter no matter the weather. We worked six days because we had to feed the horse daily, on Sundays Dad usually went in early to feed and water him, although we gave him a break occasionally.

Many people who didn’t fight the fires were involved in other ways.


Luther Thornton didn’t fight the fire. He lived with his aunt and uncle, Marcia and Frank Williams in Crawford. When Frank went off to Township 19, he told Luther to load everything onto the truck and if the fire approached the house, to lead the horses to the lake (Crawford) and “drive ‘em into the water.”

Marian (Dwelley) Cousins remembers Fire Warden Everett Grant and his wife Flora. They lived in Marion and had trained raccoons. Everett had a trapeze set up in the yard where the coons would play. The raccoons also were fed in the house and watched TV. Everett (Feb. 2, 1894 – June 9, 1990) was a son of Adelbert and Ezinnia (MacArthur) Grant. Orris’s brother Ronald Cousins and Bert Flood were in the same crew as Orris.

Jane (Crosby) Gillespie was living with my Dudley family at 20 Germain Street in Calais. She remembers the fire because it was her first time staying in that house alone. The Dudley family was at the family camp on Pocomoonshine Lake.

Marilyn (Day) Beaupre made yeast rolls for the men and Cecil McKeown delivered them to the crews.

Norma (Frost) Donahue and, her sister Zettie helped their mother Hazel (Cousins) Frost make egg salad and roast beef sandwiches. The families supplied the makings. They also made coffee. Other women who cooked were Dora (McGraw) Frost and Bertha Dwelley. Frank Dwelley was in Township 19. Leon Scribner and Lyston Frost delivered the food. Even with this homemade food, many of the men remember eating Spam sandwiches and sardines.

About 40 students from Calais Academy came out on a bus one Saturday. (The Academy had burned, so these kids were taking classes in the gym and at the South Street School). Most went home on the bus that night, but some stayed including Bernie Donahue, Louie Hill, Gerald Carter, Norman Blaney, and Frankie Hill.

Austin Gray and a bunch, maybe 15 or 20, from Wesley went over to fight the fire. They were met at Sally Corner in Crawford, and rode on the back of Carleton Davis’s truck down the 19 Road. James Patrick Day, Roger Gray and Richard Hayward (the mailman) were in the group. Lil Pope (wife of Gardner Pope) of East Machias came up the 19 Road from Route 191 with a load of sandwiches for the crew. She wasn’t supposed to be there in a car, the road was quite rough and was reserved for official vehicles. The crew from Wesley hung around most of the day, were fed a corn beef dinner, and went home. Apparently they weren’t needed. Even though they never saw the fire, they got paid.

Several shared memories of other fires as a result of our call for help in an earlier newsletter.

Brad Hunnewell was in the National Guard and was returning from two weeks training at Wellsfleet, Massachusetts (Camp Edwards?) when his group was stopped and put to work fighting a fire.

Roy Magoon was also in the National Guard. The Calais Unit was sent to Machias to help fight a fire. They rode over in open 2-ton rack body trucks and about froze to death. While in Machias they stayed at the Grange Hall. They worked four hours on and four hours off and were there for a couple of weeks. The State of Maine Guard had been disbanded in Calais and a National Guard unit established on March 17, 1947. A private’s pay was $2.67/day. Ron O’Neill was a sergeant.

Wilma (Church) Dray said her dad, Chuck Church, was stationed at Dow Air Force Base in Bangor. He and others were sent to Bar Harbor to fight that fire and that’s where Chuck met Kaye Cushing. They eventually married and Wilma is their daughter.

Luther Thornton remembers a fire in the mid-50s at Allen Stream Heath. Orris Cousins was working for Entwhistles’ on Crawford Lake and that day the northwest wind pushed up huge waves on the lake. Orris used a canoe to move men and equipment to the fire. Everett Grant was some scared on that trip up lake!

Charlie White remembers a fire on Pokey Lake in 1948. The crew took a pump and hoses to the site by boat. They pumped water from the lake and had the fire out in one day.

Fletcher Perkins was working at the Portland Terminal Company in Portland in October 1947. He remembers seeing the glow from their 3rd floor apartment and that the air was thick with smoke.

Sources: Only in Maine by Rita Rammrath, Wildfire Loose by Joyce Butler, Forest Commissioner’s Report 1947-48, A COUNTRY BOY’S VIEW, Growing up in Crawford during the Depression and World War II by Gordon Lord

1950 census = 282


Did you know that area men once played baseball for fun and women and children watched the games within the real world? In the 1930s the Alexander Eagles home field was at the Four Corners, where the Airline and South Princeton roads intersect. (It is a blueberry field today.) According to Marian (Dwelley) Cousins some of the players in those early days of the Depression were Ronald Cousins and his brother Orris, Donald Frost and his brother Lyston, Lewis Carlow and his brother Otis, Bert Varnum and Neil McArthur.

For a couple of years the team played on a field across from the Grange Hall while the field at Four Corners was rebuilt, probably just after the war. The temporary field was on Lyston Frost’s farm.


Arlene Perkins McArthur kept the OFFICIAL BASEBALL SCORE BOOK and it is now in the ACHS archives. This book has records of numerous games played, some with month, day and on one place the year 1950. Probably the entire record book was for 1950. Some of the teams played were from Robbinston, Calais, Milltown and Woodland.

On two separate papers we find a list of names with ‘at bats’ and ‘hits’ and for most the batting average. Ken Varnum– 590 (1st base), George Kneeland – 430, Carroll McArthur – 390 (pitcher), Neal Seavey – 500 (first & left field), Bill Holst – 500 (catcher), Alva Cousins – 410 (center field), Elbridge McArthur – 370 (2nd base), Bob Allen – 235 (3rd base), Sherman Flood – 335, Calvin White – 335, Lawrence Frost – 500 (short stop), Shirley Hunnewell – 335 (pitcher), Bucanan – 570, Nash – 420, George Dwelley – 310, Carl Perkins – 200, Charlie Frost, ( ) Patten and ( ) Morrisey. Ted Williams was not listed in this material.


Calvin White gave the positions commonly played by the above players, shown in (parentheses). Two names Calvin mentioned that were not on the list are Lyston Frost – 3rd base, and Darrell Frost – right field & 3rd base.

This being World Series time, one might realize that in the 1930s radios were fairly rare here and battery operated. By 1950, most homes had electricity and an electric radio.

1955 – 1957 BABY-BOOMERS

In March 2015 Tom Smith gave ACHS a folder entitled MY SCHOOLMATES. It held 28 images, most new to our picture files. The first picture was of Mrs. Gray.


Jennie (Merritt) Gray was born in Deblois in 1918. She spent her career teaching in rural schools in Washington and Hancock counties. She died in 2003. She taught at Hale School in 1955 – 56 and 1956 – 57. There were twenty scholars in that school at the time. Four-Corners School and Cedar School were also operating.


The “Schoolmates” pictured here were that, not classmates. Most would move on to the consolidated schoolhouse at the Tyler Corner in 1957. David Crosby and Barbara Perkins were from Cooper and the rest from Alexander. Four pupils have multiple pictures.

Typed names for those using search tool –


Geraldine Craft - Joel Craft - David Crosby - Llewellyn Dwelley - Lloyd Dwelley -

Judy Frost – Jennie Gray - Cheryl Hunnewell - Gary Hunnewell - Leslie Knowles - Merle Knowles -

Donna McArthur - Rita McArthur - Robert McArthur - Jill McCann - Patsy McCann -

Blaine McLaughlin - Barbara Perkins - Ed Perkins - Sherry Smith - Thomas Smith

All dressed-up for school pictures!





1957 Consolidated school at corner of Cooper and Arm roads opened

1960 census = 220

1961 Ski slope opened on Breakneck Mountain

1965 Fire killed Linda McArthur and her three children Benjamin, Paul and Joanne

Town purchased small lot from Vince Dineen on Spearin Road for a dump; $194.68

1966 FIRE

It was hot and dry on May 25, 1966. Kids at the schoolhouse at the corner of the Arm and Cooper roads probably were wishing they were out-of-doors. Among those children were siblings Mark, Mike, Linda, Sherry and Rhonda Magoon. Bonnie Lord was there with her sister Barbara and brother Terry. Barbara, Frank and Mary Williams were there from just up the road. And from the Davis family we had Norman, Joanne and David and their stepbrother Paul. One of these families was about to experience a tragedy. [Where did I get these names? <>. Go to Alexander History, to Community Life, then Education – Alexander School 1965 – 1966]

Meanwhile, up the road, the sun shining through a piece of glass ignited the old dry grass. The nearby buildings caught afire and Rose Williams saw the flames and tried to start the tractor in the garage. She was burned before she had to give up. Her husband Lyman was in New Hampshire and her son Calvin was in the Army and Donna was gone. Like so many homes in those days, there was no phone. Someone stopped at the school to call in the alarm. A teacher told Frankie and his siblings that their house was on fire.

By the time firemen from our local volunteer department arrived, the house was fully involved and the fire had raced across the field and into the woods, heading north for Route Nine. A forest fire alert was sent out and crews came from all around. According to the 1966 – 67 Annual Report of Alexander fifty-three men were paid to fight the forest fire. [The volunteer firemen did not get paid to fight house fires] The men fought the fire with Indian pump cans in Henderson Swamp and Shay Meadow and along Meadow Brook. The fire was stopped and the town was saved.

Some local men on that list were Harold Dwelley, Carleton Davis, Everett Dwelley, Raymond Flood, William Holst, Bernard Flood, Elbridge McArthur, Lawrence Frost, Merle Knowles Jr, Russell Strout, Paul Dwelley, Gerald Cooper, Roger Holst, Carleton Cooper, Herman Wallace, Max Berry, Roger Craft, Carleton Davis Jr, Joel Craft, Clinton Flood, Russell Flood, Justin Day, Ralph Flood, Walter Morrisey, Lloyd Dwelley, Roy Carlow and Terry Holst. The total payroll for the fire was $1075.91. The state reimbursed the town $532.96.

What happened to the family? They spent that summer at Gordon Lord’s camp on Pleasant Lake. In the fall of ’66 they moved to Middle Ridge in Cooper. In 1977 the family moved back to Alexander, to the Fred Niles Place on the Arm Road where Rose had grown up. A forest fire burned in Baring on that same day. Family memories helped with this story, as did a front-page article with picture in the Calais Advertiser. This article prepared in 2015 for Cassie Oakes’ Calais Advertiser column. JD

1968 Sand Shed on Wapsaconhegan Hill removed by the town. Raymond Flood, Road Commissioner with his tractor, Roland Perkins with his truck and Floyd Hunnewell did the job

1968 Maine General Highway Atlas prepared by State Highway Commission

Atlas was reprinted for Forestry Department use (Alexander map on page 52)

Note the Davis Road from the Airline to the southwest corner of Pleasant Lake where it joins the Breakneck Road, which is not shown going over the mountain. The Burnt Barn Hill Road, Huff Road, Robb Hill Road and County Road are all not represented here. Each house is represented by a black box. Do the homes mentioned in the following article match with those on the map?

1970 Census = 169 – lowest since 1820